Thursday, June 16, 2011

TalkTools Straw #3

Ever since starting straw therapy with Matthew, I've been trying to offer drinks using his therapy straw only so he gets as much practice with it as possible.

Longer than straw #1 and straw #2, I was worried that Matthew would have a hard time drinking with it.

straw #3

I was wrong. Not the first time he has proven me wrong. He can get the juice or water from the cup all the way up the long straw into his mouth, which may not seem like a big deal for any typical person, but in my eyes, that's good "sucking" power! The lip block is set at 1/4-inch from the tip of the straw and it is a tactile prompt for Matthew to use his lips to suck from the straw instead of wrapping his tongue underneath it (suckling like a baby would with a bottle nipple).

When drinking, I always hold his cup anyway to keep the straw in place so the length wasn't an issue for him. And we still used the take 'n toss plastic cups even if the straw was more than double the height of the cup.

He was on straw #3 from mid-April to the end of May. Moving forward with straw #4!

3 comments:

To Love Endlessly said...

Way to go Matthew!!!

Rochelle said...

Great job Matthew! We are shocked that Dariya has such good oral motor skills, she drinks from a cup without any assistance.

Erin said...

It's so cool to see the next straws. Luc is still on straw #2 and I'm not sure but I don't think he can move beyond that because we thicken his liquids? Sounds like Matthew is doing great with his straws ;)