Tuesday, July 21, 2009
One of the toys we play with day in and day out: balls. It's one of Matthew's favorite things. We have a beach ball, rubber ball, sensory balls, yoga ball, chime ball, Oball, big water ball, small puffy ball, and we'll probably add to the collection as he gets older.
Balls are a simple and generally inexpensive toy. We have found countless ways to play from the time Matthew was 4 months old to his level of mobility today. Here are a few things we like to do:
- When Matthew was a baby and couldn't sit up yet, his physical therapist (PT) taught me how to use the yoga ball for Matthew to do baby sit-ups and neck-back strengthening exercises. Matthew also used it for bouncing. He loved bouncing.
- I use the sensory balls to roll on Matthew's face, arms, back and legs. He thinks it's funny as he is very ticklish.
- Roll the ball back and forth. This is a good activitiy to teach turn-taking.
- Kick the ball around while holding on to both of Daddy's hands. Now that he's walking, his PT suggested that we have him kick the ball around while just holding on to just one hand. This is to help develop balance and stability while on one foot.
- Bat and roll the balls around the kitchen floor and crawl after them. It's great exercise and entertainment.
- Toss/ throw the ball back and forth. This is a good activity for hand-eye coordination.
Another game we have yet to try is bowling.
Simple. Fun. Entertaining. Let's plaaaay ball!
About 'Toy Review Tuesday': Every Tuesday, I write about our experience with a toy. This review is not to be construed as an endorsement of the product nor do I intend to put pressure on parents to purchase the toys reviewed. Questions, sharing your own experience, or any other helpful insights are welcome in the comment section.
My Favorite Things (Matthew's version)