Friday, July 24, 2009

Book Review: Gross Motor Skills for Children with Down Syndrome

Gross Motor Skills for Children with Down Syndrome by Patricia C. Winders
A Guide for Parents and Professionals, written by Patricia C. Winders, P.T.

I have referred to this book in a few of my previous posts yet I've never written about it. I think it's because most of my blog readers who have kids with Down syndrome probably already have this book. After all, it is a wonderful source of information about basic gross motor skill development. It's a must-have for any parent who has a child with Down syndrome from birth up to the time the child learns to ride a tricycle.

As a first-time mom, with no babysitting experience, I was very thankful for this book. I remember being amazed at how rolling over, which I perceived as a simple activity, really was not so simple. There are many things to consider for a baby to achieve gross motor milestones such as temperament or motivation-level (motor-driven vs. observer), overall muscle tone, medical issues that may affect the ability to exert the required physical effort, and whether certain pre-skills have been achieved, which would help in working towards the next gross motor skill.

The step-by-step guidelines are supplemented with photos to make it easier to follow. While most of the activities in the book are the same as what we try to accomplish during scheduled physical therapy sessions every 2 weeks, I still refer to the book to either help me better understand the rationale behind what we do or help me work ahead. I wish I had the foresight to write the dates when Matthew achieved goals instead of just checking off the list provided after each chapter.

In my opinion, even parents who do not have kids with Down syndrome can benefit from the activites detailed in this book. We can't really complain that hospitals don't provide manuals for every baby born. This book is essentially a gross motor skill manual.

Previous posts that mention this book:
Baby Boot Camp
Have Walker, Will Travel
Treadmill Training for Babies with Down Syndrome

4 comments:

Beverly said...

I just love all these books. We got all of them when Noah was a baby. So helpful.

RK said...

I have this and it's sad to say that I don't think I've opened it since the day I got it. Pathetic... maybe I'll go check it out to see what to do with this girl of mine. :)

Brandie said...

We have this book and I like it. I was just reading it the other day. It is very thorough and we'll be using it as our guide when we stop PT.

Debbie said...

Hey Ria....I have them all as well. Great help!! JEB's teacher even ordered them this last year and used them often in her classroom.