Sunday, September 11, 2011

Matthew Likes Jazz

Simple, spontaneous moments can be a lot of fun. Sometimes they turn out to be one of the most special moments I have with my kids.

We usually listen to kid music. Matthew enjoys songs by Greg and Steve, The Laurie Berkner Band, songs from the Kindermusik class he was in a couple years ago, and other similar kid music.

The other day, I had my iTunes playing an audio recording of Matthew's cousin reading a book for him. It was in the iTunes list on my laptop. Before I could click on the stop button, a lively jazzy song came on.

Matthew started dancing. He could not contain his excitement. He loves music. He loves to dance. I turned up the volume and we danced. We twirled. We moved around the kitchen. We made up simple dance moves (a fun way to practice listening to directions, reinforce body awareness and body movement).

Elizabeth danced for a little bit then decided to play with cups instead.


"The Blue Room" by Tommy Dorsey from the album "Anthology of Big Band Swing".

It was a lot of fun and brings a smile to my face whenever I think about it. We're going to do this more often.

0 comments: