Monday, September 5, 2011

Conversation Book: I Scream for Ice Cream

Matthew tried his first tiny spoonful of ice cream at his 1st birthday. Then he never ate ice cream again until he was 3-1/2 years old. We offered him ice cream but he always refused it. He did not want it near his mouth. He didn't want anything to do with ice cream. It was all part of his food aversion, not just being picky. It was as if he feared it.

These days, he asks for ice cream out of the blue. If Elizabeth hears "ice cream", she starts asking for it too. Then it's like two baby birds with their mouths wide open begging for ice cream. For Elizabeth, I expected her love of ice cream to come naturally. And it did. For Matthew, it was a 180-degree shift from "keep that ice cream away from me!!"

So sometimes, we go to the ice cream/ frozen custard place in town. I bring my own mini cones because they're a better size for the kids to hold and eat compared to the regular-sized ice cream cones available. Then we sit and enjoy our ice cream. I usually get a small vanilla with fresh bananas and split it between the kids. Of course, I eat the left-overs. And with these two ice cream monsters, there's hardly any left-overs.

I'm going to have to get my own cup next time. I love ice cream/ frozen custard too. Except I love chocolate with roasted pecans and macadamia nuts.

I put photos from our latest trip to the ice cream place in his conversation book for school to share with his teacher and friends.

0 comments: