Friday, October 1, 2010

Book Review: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd ed

From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd edition An invaluable reference for parents who have children with special needs! It's so easy to read and easy to navigate. The book talks to me, at my level of understanding. I'm new to the IEP (Individualized Education Program) process and the special education scene. Matthew transitions out of the Early Intervention (EI) program next week when he turns 3.

Judge this book by its cover! It truly is a Special Education Survival Guide. The authors, Pam Wright and Pete Wright, offer vital information on everything about special needs education and practical suggestions for many typical scenarios from preparing for the IEP to resolving conflicts. It's very comprehensive.

The book is divided into five well-organized sections. Section 1 helps parents to organize their thoughts and ideas in advocating for their child. Section 2 has chapters on learning the rules of the game, common traps and obstacles, tips for conflict resolution and crisis management. Section 3 includes information about evaluations, various tests and measurements, file organization and a wonderful how-to chapter on writing SMART (Specific, Measurable, Action Words, Realistic and Relevant, Time-Limited) IEP goals. Section 4 is packed with the nitty gritty of Special Education Law. Section 5 discusses tactics and strategies to manage and win disputes, including the best ways to document information.

I found the chapters in section 3 and the chapter on creating a paper trail in section 5 most helpful in preparing me for our first IEP meeting.

Just browsing through the content of the rest of the book, I have a feeling this will be my "bible" in advocating for Matthew's education.

Have you read it? What do you think?

3 comments:

Looking Up said...

Haven't read it yet, but my son turns 2 in December & I've already been pondering what's going to happen after he leaves the EI program next year. Looks like I'll be picking this book up. Thanks, as always, for the info...

Monica Crumley said...

Haven't read it either, but I might need to check into this. I like how you call it a "game". :-) Good luck!

Anna said...

someone else recommended this book. I know I need to order it before we have to navigate through these muddy waters. thank you for the reminder.