Saturday, July 10, 2010
In his crawling days, Matthew went after Yuri, whom he calls "tat" (cat). It's no different now that he's walking and running. Yuri remains to be one of his biggest motivators/ moving targets.
Matthew learned to run a few months ago. He runs as fast as his little legs can take him, sometimes stumbling if he goes faster than he can manage. We continue to work on his leg strength and coordination with activities such as walking up and down the small hill with little assistance in our backyard and kicking the soccer ball. Other gross motor activities to improve balance, coordination, and overall strength and stamina that we do include:
- throwing a ball overhand vs. underhand.
- catching a ball.
- jumping, trying to get lift-off with at least one foot.
- walking along a 4' long x 5" wide x 1" thick wooden beam laid on the ground with one foot on it and one foot on the ground. This is to help improve balance and leg strength.
- walking, instead of crawling, up and down a flight of stairs with one-hand support.
- properly mounting and dismounting his tricycle and scooter.
- moving around on a scooter with either both feet pushing off at the same time or alternating.
We also continuously work on fine motor skills to improve hand-eye coordination, dexterity and hand strength with these activities:
- pointing at pictures or popping bubbles with index finger.
- drawing on our driveway with sidewalk chalk.
- drawing/ coloring with crayons on a flat surface parallel to the floor such as a table.
- drawing with crayons on an inclined surface such as an easel. I'm told this helps to strengthen the wrist more than the previously listed activity.
- stringing beads.
- cutting with play-doh scissors.
- playing with play-doh.
- finger painting with foam soap.
Unfortunately, Matthew also uses Yuri's tail for hand strengthening. He's got a grip that will drain the blood from your fingers. Poor Yuri has lost many toddler-handfuls of fur yet our tolerant "tat" still lets Matthew get close. Fortunately, Matthew isn't always in a grabby mood. Sometimes Matthew gives Yuri a kiss. In return, Yuri rubs up against Matthew. They have a like-dislike relationship.
Here is a series of photos I took of them a few days ago. Matthew was sitting in one of Yuri's favorite spots to lay down and wasn't going to budge, especially since he was too busy smiling for the camera. The "tat" was not amused.
I wonder how Elizabeth will be with Yuri when she's mobile. I bet the tat wonders the same thing.
The Crawler and the Cat