Friday, January 15, 2010

Maddy Curtis on American Idol

I don't follow American Idol so I'm a little late sharing this. The show recently caught my interest when I learned that one of the contestants for Season 9 is Maddy Curtis. She has 4 brothers with Down syndrome. I don't know her and her family personally, besides following her mom's (Barbara Curtis) blog, Mommy Life, but I think it is because of her 4 brothers who have Down syndrome that I feel somewhat connected. Maybe I'm just weird but ever since Matthew was born, I've felt a mysterious bond to other families who have kids with special needs, more particularly with Down syndrome. It's a bond that offers a certain level of familiarity and understanding that one can only gain through walking in the same shoes as the other family.

Matthew and I are also included in Barbara Curtis' photo album "Our Little Extras", which is on my blog's sidebar.

I was one of the recipients of Barbara Curtis' email with the video link to Maddy's audition. I watched it with Matthew on my lap. Matthew, my music lover, agrees that Maddy has a soothing, soulful voice. He signed "more" after watching Maddy sing the first time. I lost count but I think we watched the video at least 7 times as Matthew insistently signed "more" every time. She definitely has my vote because of her talent. The fact that she has brothers with Down syndrome is a plus.

6 comments:

Runningmama said...

Thanks so much Ria for writing about this, now I will tune into American Idol to support Maddie! I too feel a strange connection to other families who have been blessed by an extra chromosome!

Unknown said...

I think it's natural - and comforting - to feel a connection to families who may have some idea about what your life is like. Do you remember Scott last year on Idol? He was almost completely blind - it made me look at the boys and think they really can be whatever they want to be (even on reality TV LOL)

Thanks for sharing!

kara

Lori said...

I am not following Idol this year as it is running against the Biggest Loser, but that certainly was touching! It's exciting to see a positive message about DS broadcast to so many viewers!! Hooray!

To Love Endlessly said...

I saw that air someday this week. Brought tears to my eyes not only her but the family. That's funny that you had an inside scoop on her before the rest of us. I am thrilled be a part of this wonderful community. I never knew I wanted to be here, but I am truly grateful that God blessed our family with DS. We've met so many wonderful people. What an amazing journey.

Beverly said...

I watched the clip and I cried seeing her with her brothers.

Stephanie said...

A girl at work told me about this and I was so glad to find the link on your blog. I loved it! Thanks for posting!