Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy 2nd Birthday Matthew!

2nd birthday cake
We celebrated Matthew's birthday yesterday with Bill's parents here, my parents on the webcam, a neighbor, a birthday balloon, cake, lasagna, jambalaya, sandwiches, and presents. Unfortunately, the rest of the family (Matthew's uncles, aunts and cousins) couldn't make it as they all had gotten sick recently and decided to play it safe by not coming rather than risk sharing the germs with Matthew and I (and #2). So we'll just have another birthday celebration with them when everyone is better.

blowing out candles

Flashback
Matthew has yet to touch so many people's lives in the many years to come! And you definitely have an important role in this mission! YOU and Bill are just the perfect parents for Matthew. God never makes mistakes!

These were my aunt's words of support, comfort, and reassurance when we welcomed Matthew into our lives. I still get teary-eyed (tears of happiness) when I remember what she said. The weepiness comes more quickly these days with these crazy pregnancy hormones.

How wise her words! How true they ring! We are so grateful to have Matthew in our lives and can't imagine life without him.

Messages to Matthew
I got this idea from The Signing Mom. It's called "Messages to Baby" but I've renamed it "Messages to Matthew", for our purposes. I encourage everyone to write special notes for Matthew. I will save the messages in a box or special notebook for him to read when he gets older.

Here are some ideas to begin messages:
My hopes and dreams for you are...
How you've touched my life...
What I like about you...
I love you because...

Thank you very much for your birthday greetings and wishes for Matthew.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Matthew,

Happy 2nd Birthday!!! As fast as it has gone on the one hand, it's hard to believe it's ONLY been two years on the other hand. I feel like I've loved you all my life, and can't imagine it without you now.

You are an incredible little boy, which fits because you were born to incredible parents.

We are proud of you and we love you.

love always,
Auntie Kris

Lori said...

Happy Belated Birthday Matthew!

Jill said...

Happy Birthday little Matthew! I have enjoyed watching you grow this past year! I love to read all about you and all of the great and wonderful things you do everyday! Your gentle spirit and joyful smile encourage me everytime I see you or watch the videos your mom posts online. I can't wait for you to meet Nate one day!

burn666 said...

Happy birthday little dude! :)

Congrats to Bill and Ria on your little bundle of joy (just wait until he's 18 :p)

The Hapa Girl said...

Yay! Happy Birthday Matthew! You have such awesome parents! What a perfect match!

Ria...what do you mean #2? Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Matthew!

How swift time flies without us knowing it you are all gown up. You are born to really great parents. You are a very lucky boy and they are lucky to have such a great bundle of joy!

Take care!

Zel and Dads

Cole said...

Hope it was an excellent birthday dear Matthew- and here are best wishes for the wonderful years to come!

Rochelle said...

Happy 2nd birthday Matthew! You are a joy to watch and a true blessing. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Beverly said...

What a beautiful cake! Looks like a great day!

Happy Birthday Matthew!!! You are one beautiful little boy!

Michelle said...

Happy 2nd birthday to Matthew!

The Cooking Ninja said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! :)

Leslie said...

Happy Birthday to Matthew!!!

Congrats too on your pregnancy. How very exciting!!! (((Ria)))

I love reading your writing as you express yourself beautifully!

Blessings
Leslie

datri said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! Hope you had a wonderful day!

muncherw said...

Been a while since I've seen him. I forgot how cute Matthew is.