Friday, July 3, 2009

Book Review: Colin Gets A Chance

Colin Gets A Chance by Brian A. BealeWritten by Brian A. Beale in honor of his son, Colin Beale. This inspirational children's book about a little boy, who has Down syndrome, has a simple storyline bearing a significant message about acceptance and inclusion. The story is written in rhyme, making it extra enjoyable to read.

Colin has always cheered for his baseball team from the bench and is finally given a chance to bat in the last game of the season at the insistence of his teammates. I found myself smiling and cheering for him in my head, especially toward the end of the book.

The book cover and all illustrations were drawn by individuals with Down syndrome. That in itself is a powerful example of inclusion of individuals who appear different on the surface, but have so much to offer to society once given a chance.

The author actively advocates for his son using this book. In an email to me he says, "It really is the perfect children’s book to help parents and teachers open up the lines of communication about Down syndrome, acceptance, and inclusion. I’ve spoken to many different schools from first through eighth grade and it’s been great using my children’s book to teach the kids about acceptance and inclusion." I quietly wish that someday I have the opportunity (and courage to speak publicly) to proactively advocate for Matthew too.

I'm so glad I bought this book. Have you read it? Would you give this book a chance?

7 comments:

To Love Endlessly said...

It sounds does like a great book. It seems to me that you have already begun to proactively advocate for Matthew. Whether it be 1 person or a group of other parents or professionals, you are doing your part to advocate for Matthew and other kids. Keep it up mama. :-)

Ria said...

Thanks for the encouragement Patti! You're doing a great job yourself! :-)

Michelle said...

I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds like one I'd like to have! I'll have to check amazon for it. Another good book is called "Meet Annie" Annie has Ds and she describes all the ways she's "just like you" - Kayla enjoys this book.

Ria said...

Michelle, thanks for the heads up on "Meet Annie". I will definitely check that out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing info about this book, Ria! You know that we would LOVE to read it at our house, or your house, or just about anywhere. And by the way, I've long viewed you as an advocate for Matthew and all other people with DS. Your efforts are tireless, and your heart is big and wide open. - Amy on Brookview

Ria said...

Thanks Amy! I'll try to remember to show you the book the next time we get together. :-)

Monica said...

Somehow I missed this post, looks like a great book and I am defiantly ordering it!! Thanks for sharing!!